Windscreen Insurance Cover how It Works
Unless specifically arranged, neither third party fire and theft nor third party only policies provide cover for windscreen or window glass breakage. The average cost of a repair for a 4-door family saloon ranges between £100 – £150 for a replacement windscreen.
This policy guarantees assistance for windscreen and window glass breakage. It authorises insurer-approved replacement or repair where possible without any cost to you, and provides cover should your vehicle fail an MOT due to a windscreen replacement being required.
This policy is primarily designed for third party fire and theft or third party only motor insurance policies and provides a limited amount of insurance for replacement windscreen and glass.
The main aspects of the policy include:
Policy limit and excess
There is an cumulative policy limit of £300 during the 12 month policy period. There is £60 excess on windscreen and glass repairs.
The policy covers breakage of windows or windscreen glass, includes damage to the windscreen if the damage will cause the vehicle to fail an MOT.
A 14-day cooling-off period
During this time you may cancel the policy without incurring a penalty. There is a £15 administrative charge if the policy is cancelled after 14 days.
- Claims must be reported to the 24 hour helpline.
- The specified vehicle must be registered and owned by you.
- Repairs and replacements must be carried out by the nominated supplier.
- The policy will only pay £100 if a non-approved supplier is used.
- You will need to produce the policy, schedule, proof of identify and the vehicle registration document when making a claim.
Significant exclusions and limitations
- The premium is not refundable after the 14-day cooling-off period. This is subject to a time-on-risk charge.
- Only £100 will be paid out if a non-approved supplier is used.
- There is a 28 day activation period if this policy is not taken out at the same time as the primary insurance policy.
- Damage likely to result in a claim must be reported as soon as possible.
- Claims reported more than 30 days after the expiry of the insurance will not be considered, regardless of the date on which the damage occurred.
- The policy will not pay more than £300 in any one period of insurance.
- Cover only applies whilst travelling within England, Wales or Scotland.
Markerstudy deliver the service.
*Premium includes Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) at the current prevailing rate.